Vincent J. Basciano (pronounced bah-see-an-oh) (born November 14, 1959) is an American mobster who became acting boss of the Bonanno Crime Family after the arrest of boss Joseph Massino. After the arrest of Bonanno crime family boss Joseph Massino, Vincent Basciano became one of the most powerful mobsters in America.
Basciano is nicknamed "Vinny Gorgeous," due to owning a Bronx beauty salon called "Hello Gorgeous," and for his fastidious grooming, hairstyle and looks. In 2011, several reporters noted that despite being imprisoned, Basciano still looked perfectly groomed in the courtroom.
On May 6. 2006, Basciano was convicted in a racketeering trial for running illegal gambling and attempted murder. However, due to a hung jury, Basciano was not convicted of the 2001 murder of Frank Santoro.
After Basciano's first murder trial, prosecutors again indicted him on the Santoro murder. On August 1, 2007, Basciano was convicted of murdering Santoro, who tried to kidnap Basciano's son, and was subsequently sentenced to life imprisonment.
On May 16, 2011, Basciano was convicted of ordering the 2004 murder of Ralph "Randy" Pizzolo, On June 1, 2011, a jury rejected a prosecution request for the death penalty and instead sentenced Basciano to life in federal prison.
As of December 2011, Vincent Basciano is serving his sentences in the United States Penitentiary ADX in Florence, Colorado. He has no projected release date.
- ↑ "Vincent J. Basciano". New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement exclusion list. State of New Jersey. http://www.nj.gov/oag/ge/exclusion/basciano_vincent.htm. Retrieved April 6, 2011.
- ↑ John Marzulli (2004-05-26). "Bonannos' new boss is salon owner, trial is told". New York Daily News. http://articles.nydailynews.com/2004-05-26/news/18259415_1_crime-family-joseph-bonanno-mafia-commission. Retrieved March 22, 2011.
- ↑ Marzulli, John (2011-04-26). "It's style first for Vinny Gorgeous: Basciano KOs headphones as secret mob tapes roll in court". New York Daily News. http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-04-26/news/29492017_1_vinny-gorgeous-vincent-basciano-george-goltzer. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- ↑ William K. Rashbaum (2006-05-10). "Former Salon Owner Is Convicted of Racketeering, but Not Murder". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/10/nyregion/10gorgeous.html. Retrieved March 22, 2011.
- ↑ John Marzulli (2006-05-11). "More trials for Basciano". New York Daily News. http://articles.nydailynews.com/2006-05-11/local/18336297_1_basciano-bonanno-levin. Retrieved March 22, 2011.
- ↑ John Marzulli (2007-08-01). "Pretty quickly, Gorgeous found guilty in '01 slay". New York Daily News. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/pretty-quickly-gorgeous-found-guilty-01-slay-article-1.239454. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- ↑ "'Vinny Gorgeous' guilty of murder". UPI.com. United Press International. 2007-08-01. http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2007/08/01/Vinny-Gorgeous-guilty-of-murder/UPI-15391185995483/. Retrieved March 22, 2011.
- ↑ John Marzulli (2010-01-18). "Bonanno crime boss Vincent Basciano sentenced to life in prison". New York Daily News. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/bonanno-crime-boss-vincent-basciano-sentenced-life-prison-article-1.282600. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- ↑ Maddux, Mitchel (2011-05-16). "Bonanno crime family boss Vincent 'Vinny Gorgeous' Basciano found guilty in gangland hit". New York Post. http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/vincent_vinny_gorgeous_basicano_vYqomgUorzaTIk0ir7BUMO#ixzz1MYpfpija. Retrieved May 16, 2011.
- ↑ Tom Hays (2011-06-02). "NYC Mobster Vinny Gorgeous Avoids Death Sentence". ABCnews.com. Associated Press. http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=13737389. Retrieved June 2, 2011.
- ↑ Anahad O'Connor (2001-06-01). "For Mobster, a Life Term, Not His First, Offers Relief". New York Times.com. The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/02/nyregion/vincent-basciano-sentenced-to-life-not-death.html?_r=1. Retrieved June 1, 2011.
- ↑ http://www.bop.gov/iloc2/InmateFinderServlet?Transaction=NameSearch&needingMoreList=false&FirstName=Vincent&Middle=&LastName=Basciano&Race=U&Sex=U&Age=&x=64&y=16